Mar 19, 2009

Humble Beginnings

Yesterday I went to the airport to visit a newborn baby girl. Wait…the airport? Construction has been going on at the government airport next to our center for a while, with the workers living on the property. In order for the families not to be separated, temporary shanty-type housing has been set up, where they can live together. The little baby, as yet unnamed, was tiny, but ruddy, perfectly formed and nursing contentedly. Her surroundings made me think that she and baby Jesus had a lot in common – a cardboard floor and walls, dogs and chickens just feet away, flies, and an adoring mother. I was able to give the family some baby clothes, a few blankets and some interlocking foam pieces to make a floor and a soft place for the baby to lie.

My life on the center here as a stay-at-home mom can be very sheltered. I thank God for reminding me how blessed I am and how very little some people have. And yet, He loves each of us equally and lavishly. How best to show that love to this family? That’s what I’m praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment